Welcome to the home of the Spindletop Railroad!

Follow along as I try to create a freelanced railroad and build my first HO scale layout. I hope to write a blog that helps others in building layouts, detailing engines, and creating their own railroads while identifying the road bumps to avoid and the fun aspects of model railroading to look forward to!

Saturday, January 7, 2017

2017!

Man, what a year 2016 turned out to be huh?  So many things happened nationally, internationally, and personally.  There was a lot of great stuff, good stuff, bad stuff, and pass-the-bourbon stuff.  So much came, and so much went.  But that this is the essence of time; it is always moving.  And so must we!  Literally.

First, here is to 2017 being a better year than those before it!

Second, this is going to be an information update only post.  No pictures this time, but prepare for an onslaught in the coming posts!

The reasons for my lack of updates have been plentiful.  July was spent getting the bikes worked on and rode.  At the end of July, the wife and I went on vacation to beautiful Denmark for two weeks.  That was a great trip that even included train rides and model train visits.  Anyways.  After the vacation there was a ton of random stuff going on including insane work loads and family activities.

Then around the end of September my wife got the call.  She was offered the job she had applied for in California!  That has caused a huge flurry of activity that has kept me away from model trains almost entirely until recently.  We spent the time between September and mid-November getting our house ready to sell.

This did unfortunately include the removal of my layout...  I saved what I could and got it safely boxed away in storage.  The rest, aside from the yard module, has been scrapped.  Thankfully, my realtor agreed one module makes the room look better than removing it entirely.

Modeling will be picking up though now!  In addition to having the house officially listed and being viewed, my wife has already ventured to Cali.  She starts work on Monday but I can't move out there with here until the house is sold.  Her new job pays well but not two mortgages well.  So until the house sells, I am making the best of it by getting back into the modelling habit.  Now if only my job would give me more time off...

I cannot do much for running trains, but I have been getting things done.

A friend on a Facebook buy/sell group for model trains put me in touch with a modeler here in Houston who was getting out of the hobby.  He wanted to sell his entire collection which was truly vast.  I would estimate well over a thousand cars.  He also had several structures, locomotives, details, and other items he was off loading.  And it is all modern!  So now I have my rolling stock collection has more than doubled.  I also picked up a complete Sunset Limited consist of coaches in the new Walthers Plated Phase IVb scheme, several structures, a lot of details, and made a new friend.

Hopefully I can go get more stuff soon.  In addition, I picked up a Kato Amtrak Phase IV heritage P42 with Loksound!  Talk about a beast!

I also got out and took a ton of pictures of stuff.  I have a list of things to see and do train-wise in the great state of Texas before I leave her so I hope to be posting that stuff soon too.  My next post will have pictures from my trip to a long abandoned bridge that is actually going to be a major focal point of the SRR and my next layout.

So much more has been going on and I hope to get to all of it while I get ready to transition to California.  In the mean time, here is to hoping 2017 is a great year full of good things and good times.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment